Saturday, September 6, 2014

Grandparent names

I don't know about you, but growing up in my family, I had to have a different name for each grandparent because I have a ridiculously large family, and having the same name makes them seem unimportant to me.

My grandparents were as follows:

Grandma Charlotte, George, Paw Paw, Grandma Jamie, Memaw, Pepaw, Maw Maw, Pah-Paw, Grandpa Talley, Grandpa, Nana, and Mwa Mwa

I was the first to be born in my family,the oldest of my cousins I mean, so the names that I chose for each grandparent stuck. Or the names my parents chose more or less.

When my mom found out I was pregnant last week the first thing she said was: I AM NOT GOING TO BE CALLED GRANDMA, I AM ONLY 43.
"Okay mom, how do you feel about Nana?" She really didn't like that idea.
Then I told my dad, who told my step mom, who happily announced that she had claimed Nana. Wonderful! I was thrilled, so then I started a post on facebook where I announce who gets what grandparent name. My fiance and I both have divorced parents, so there are quite a few grandparents, so we made it a game among them to choose their names. It encourages the idea to the younger and less eager grandparents. So after a few days, my mother chose to be called G.G. for Gorgeous Grandma :). Adorable!

My mom:                                 G.G.
My step mom:                         Nana
My dad:                                   Paw Paw* Very important Heirloom name in the family. The one who gets Paw Paw wears the crown and                                                                                 volunteers to be extremely involved in teaching life values to the child

My Grandma:                          Grandma Charlotte
My Grandpa George                Grandpa George
My Memaw:                            Memaw   (Pronounced Meh-Maw)
My Mwa Mwa:                        Mwa Mwa
My PehPaw                              Pehpaw Frank
My Maw Maw:                        Maw Maw Barbara
My Pow Pow Mark:                 Pow Pow Mark
My Great Grandma Molly:      Nana Molly

His dad:                                    Grumps  I have no idea if he was kidding or not. But until he says otherwise, its there. 
His mom: __________
His step dad:__________
His Grandma Sandy: _____           Maw Maw Sandy?
His Grandpa Charlie:_____            PehPaw Charlie?    Pronounced differently than Paw Paw. 


Update:
Aunt Courtney wants to go by Auntie :)

and so on... for both sides of the family, or all four sides for each parent. It is another way to make a daunting task more fun and great for the baby book. When the baby is born take a picture of each grand parent holding the baby, and caption the photo with the name that grandparent chose.


No comments:

Post a Comment